TEDRA’s Statement Regarding New Condo Development:
The residents of the Entertainment District have serious concerns regarding any new condo development in the Entertainment District.
We point to factors such as:
– Lack of infrastructure to service increased population (fire, hospital, police, TTC, hydro facilities).
– The elimination of popular cultural & tourist destinations, and local community-based businesses, including restaurants & retailers.
– Intense noise, lane closures, traffic congestion, dust, and other environmental factors due to several simultaneous condo construction projects.
– No clear plan for development of the area as a whole.
– The Bank of Canada’s December 2012 warning of adverse effects on the housing market & overall economy due to condo overdevelopment.
Until these concerns are addressed, the residents of the Entertainment District may not support new condo developments until a full infrastructure assessment is taken and a comprehensive city development plan is proposed to the residences of the affected areas.
The two images below (West of Spadina & East of Spadina) detail all developments that have either already been approved or are currently pending approval. Please click both images seperately to view in full detail. Then, please answer the questions below, and join us!